Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxiliary - Dept. of WI
Important Information for 990's
Our fiscal year is July 1st to June 30th of each year. Previously some Auxiliaries have used the calendar year for tax filing information. You MUST USE OUR FISCAL YEAR.
For those Auxiliaries that have income of more than $25,000, after June 30th and on or before November 15th of each year, you need to file an E-Card to cover the period of July 1st to June 30th. You will then be in compliance and each year thereafter your 990 will be due on or before November 15th for the Auxiliary Fiscal Year that ended June 30th. For Auxiliaries with income less than $25,000, you will also need to file the form.
Gross Income - Does NOT include any "pass-through" accounts such as:
- Department and National Dues
- Cancer Aid & Research of H&H Christmas Cheer Donations
- Cancer Insurance Premiums
- Other Amounts Collected and sent on in Full
Filing Instructions for 990-N (E-Postcard)
- Go to https://sa.www4.irs.gov/epostcard/.
- Click on "Get Started" if first time user (just log in if you have done this form in the past)
- Request Login ID
- Select Exempt Organization
- Enter the Federal Employer Identification Number, select the Next button
- You are now on a page where you need to create a password. Follow the instructions. Enter your first name, last name, e-mail address and day time phone numbers. Then select the Next button
- You should now have a screen titled Request Login ID-Success!
- You will receive an e-mail containing a link to click that will allow you to activate your login ID and create your E-Postcard. The e-mail will be from "email@example.com"
- After you click the link in number 8 above, you will get a screen saying"Activate Login ID Success!" This page has two buttons, one allows you to create your 990-N (e-postcard) NOW or you can return to the home page.
- If you select "Create your 990-N (e-postcard)," you will be taken to a page that says "Electronic Notice-Form 990-N (e-postcard) Organization Information"
- This question should show your tax year, ie. 7/1/20XX to 6/30/20XX
- Has your organization terminated or gone out of business? Select NO, unless that is the situation
- Organizations legal name, Line 1 and Line 2. (Complete name of Auxiliary)
- Employer Identification Number (EIN). This should already be filled in, based on your request to file an e-postcard. Click "Save Changes" and then click "Next Page"
- Now you are on the page titled "Electronic Notice-Form 990-N (e-postcard) Organization Address and Principal Officer." Use Treasurer's name and address
- Question C continues. If your organization conducts business using another name (dba), enter other name in blank provided. Usually this will be blank
- Organization's mailing address. Complete the blanks with required information. (Unless you have a Post Home address you use, this will be the Treasurer's address)
- Organizations web address, if applicable. (optional)
- Principal Officer, select type of name, ie. Person. List Auxiliary Treasurer and complete his/her mailing address. Click "Save Changes"
- Print each page of the form for your records. Click "Submit Filing to IRS"
- You will be taken to a page that says Form-990N (e-postcard) submitted. There are two buttons on the page, one to log out or to go to the Filing Status Page. If you go to the Filing Status Page, you can click a link that says VIEW Form 990-N. This will show an exact copy of the e-postcard. You can print this form for your records and print another copy to submit to VFW Auxiliary Department Treasurer Lenore Otto. (You must send them a copy in order to stay under the blanket exemption for Income Taxes)
- You will receive an e-mail indicating whether the IRS has accepted or rejected your e-postcard. If accepted, you are done for this year. If rejected, the e-filing receipt will contain instructions on how to correct the problem.
Don't forget to send a copy of the E-Postcard with acceptance of IRS to VFW Auxiliary Department of WI Treasurer, Lenore Otto, 1383 W. Wisconsin Ave., Oconomowoc, WI 53066.
Don't forget to keep a copy for your records along with these instructions for next year
Remember - you cannot file until the Auxiliary Fiscal year is complete. This is after June 30th.